Pages

Friday, March 25, 2011

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." - Socrates


A couple of days ago I came across a really great website/wiki, through a fanfiction I read. (Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality. Check it out.) It's called Less Wrong, and it's pretty amazing. The description on the home page is:


"Less Wrong is devoted to refining the art of human rationality — the art of thinking. The new math and science deserves to be applied to our daily lives, and heard in our public voices."


I was blown away by the sheer amount of thought-provoking things on the site, and by how seldom I actually think about those things. There is so much to learn. A scary amount. An amount that sends my brain reeling. I have this intense, insatiable want for information, to the point of needing to learn. There is so much out there, and it hit me hard.


I'm beginning to learn that I know nothing, which in no way, shape, or form makes me feel any wiser. If anything, I'm losing copious amounts of inner peace. The number of things that I'm probably wrong about in my day to day life scares me, and the number of things I'll never know makes me sad. I will always crave knowledge and have a desire to learn.  


Something fascinates me in Socrates' quote, about knowing that you know nothing. Since one has to know that, I don't think that he is saying that we know nothing in the conventional sense. Humans as a nation seem to know quite a bit. What Socrates means is that every time we learn something new, new avenues open up for us, new questions are born. Every time we learn something new, we know a little bit less, too, since to us, we have more to learn. 


Was that a sufficiently poetic, nonsensical, and somewhat mind-blowing insight? 




Also,
IT'S FRIDAY FRIDAY GOTTA GET DOWN ON FRIDAY EVERYBODY'S LOOKING FORWARD TO THE WEEKEND WEEKEND PARTYING PARTYING YEAH! x4 FUN FUN FUN FUN

Oh, Rebecca Black. I think I love you. 

-Gabi

Socks today:  My socks are never interesting anymore. D:

1 comment:

  1. Yes, that was mind-blowingly insightful. I actually feel smarter now!

    We all love Rebecca. I just refuse to admit it. :P

    Nice post, Gabbers!

    ReplyDelete

You should write something in that little box there.